Feeling a bit sluggish, is it hard to concentrate, do you need that afternoon pick-me-up? Here are a few ways to help get your brain going and get energized without caffeine and junk food.
1. Dive into a book. According to a study published in the journal Neurology, reading and writing could optimize your brain power. Carry a book with you everywhere you go for an escape from the daily grind. You could read a few chapters in a waiting room, grocery store line, traffic jam, or during your lunch break.
2. Get a degree. College is not necessary and doesn’t offer you much of an edge in the workforce since bachelor degrees have become the new normal, but there is no denying that many folks aren’t driven enough to study on their own. If you feel like you need accountability in the form of a wise professor, reading assignments, and a grade that determines your educational fate, college would be a good bet.
3. Explore new horizons. The mind can grow stagnate without the occasional detour to a fresh topic of interest. Choose a historical era, musical instrument, language, craft, or hobby that fascinates you and get to work.
4. Take time to breathe. Go outside with a notebook, admire the rising sun, listen to the birds sing, and breathe deeply. Starting your day with a little big of meditation and nature will clear your thoughts so you can start your day strong.
5. Keep a blog or journal. Putting your thoughts on paper will sharpen your ability to express yourself clearly. With practice, you will be able to make even the most dry of subjects interesting and the most difficult of concepts simple enough for anyone to understand.
6. Be consistent. Great minds are not built overnight: they are built slowly over many years through hard work and dedication. You will not become a master inventor or Jeopardy champion in a week, but you’ll get pretty close if you’re consistent.
7. Stretch yourself. Just because something is difficult doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing. If you stretch yourself, you could fall a bit short of your goal but you will reach greater heights than you would without a willingness to take risks. Contentment is your enemy. Never be satisfied.
8. Seek inspiration. Today you might feel inspired with a strong desire to optimize your brain power. But please be aware that inspiration is a fleeting thing. Just like you couldn’t drive your car across the country without stopping for gas, you can’t expect your brain to keep performing without an occasional shot of inspiration. What inspires you? There is no right or wrong answer. Do you learn best by hearing? Listen to a book on audio or podcast on your drive to and from work. Do you have to see it to “get” it? Watch a film or documentary about a topic that piques your curiosity. Is written word your preference? Throw a book or two in your purse, backpack, or the backseat of your car so you can dive into a book when life hands you the opportunity to get your learn on.
9. Know thyself. Be mindful during the work day. Is there a certain time of day you are more focused, alert, or creative? Are there a few hours where you have a tough time finding interest in work? Find the answers to those questions and build your day in a way that maximizes productivity. For example, I do well if I can do creative things (like writing this article) early in the day. In the evening, I can’t seem to focus no matter what, so I save pleasure reading, leisure, and mindless tasks and chores for later in the day. Shuffle a few tasks around to get more done.
10. Question everything. There are very few absolutes in life, so maintain a healthy dose of skepticism and never stop asking questions.
Is Paperless Accounts Payable & Invoice Automation Right Fit for Your Accounts Payable Department? Find Our With This Free Webinar!
Have you been thinking about paperless accounts payable processing? Confused by all the choices? Curious to learn more? Not sure if this will work in your AP department? Then this webinar is perfect for you! Register today!
- 30-Minute Webinar: Paperless AP Processing
- When: Thursday February 19th, 2015
- Times: 11:00 am & 3:30 pm (EST)
- Where: http://www.bluecreeksoftware.com/webinars.html
There is NO-COST to join this webinar.
Many organizations are considering ways to reduce the manual processes associated with processing, routing, coding, approving and entering supplier invoices. Want to find out what it takes to go paperless and streamline your accounts payable processing? Then you don't want to miss this webinar.
Who Should Attend: AP Managers, Controllers, CFO"s, IT Managers or anyone interested in improving their AP process and going paperless to reduce costs, save time & money.
- No Software to Purchase
- No OCR Software Required
- Capture Inbound Supplier Invoices
- Route Invoices Automatically
- Simplify GL Coding
- Perform 3-Way Matching
- Eliminate Manual Invoice Entry
- Prevent Duplicate Payments
- Generate Month-End Reports
- Accounts Payable Dashboard
- Reduce Invoice Processing Costs
- Streamline Your AP Processing
During this webinar we will review challenges in accounts payable, costs associated with processing invoices, drivers for improving accounts payable, paperless processing, integration with systems like Oracle, SAP, JDE, MS Dynamics, building your business case and then Q&A's.
Past attendees include industries like manufacturing, retail, healthcare, higher education, biotech, pharmaceutical. transportation, financial, distribution, legal and many, many more!
This is a great webinar for anyone who is wondering if AP automation, invoice workflow or paperless AP processing is right for them.
Space is Limited! This Webinar Will Fill Up FAST!
Register today: http://www.bluecreeksoftware.com/webinars.html
Past Attendee Feedback:
"Thanks to your webinar we've decided to take a closer look at our AP process"
"Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions"
"We had no idea it was this easy"
"Great webinar, right to the point
Not Going Paperless? Here Are Some Tips Then To Make Life A Little Easier In Accounts Payable.
Let's face it, processing supplier invoices can be a daunting task and in some cases a smaller accounts payable department can feel the "invoice processing pain" simply due to a lack of resources more so than larger companies who may be drowning in shear volume of invoices. Either way the steps of processing, routing, matching, approving, coding, entering and paying invoices is error-prone, labor intensive and in-efficient. So what do you do if upper management isn't onboard with accounts payable process improvements or invoice automation?
Here are a few ways that being organized and following standard processes can help.
1. Don't pay from invoice copies. This can lead to duplicate AP transactions and payments. If you have to pay from a copy, be sure to check your records for the same invoice number and dollar amount.
2. Make sure you have a W-9 on file BEFORE paying a vendor. This will save a lot of hassle at year-end when you need to prepare 1099s. Fines for not complying with 1099 reporting can be hefty and the rules change from time to time.
3. Have rules about how invoice numbers are formatted and entered. If accounts payable team members are all using their own rules about entering invoice numbers (like what to do with leading zeros), it will be difficult to track down anything. Also, make sure you have a policy for invoices that don't have invoice numbers on them.
4. Segregation of duties! The person entering the invoice should be different from the person approving the invoice who should be different from the person signing the check.
5. Centralized receipt of supplier invoices. Okay, so this is easier said than done however, having all invoices come to the accounting department first before being sent out for approval(s). This way the invoice can be logged before it enters the black hole.
6. Enter invoices one at a time. Do not enter invoices as a batch. Each one should be entered individually in order to have an audit trail.
7. Coding of invoices. All invoices should have the G/L account coding written on them as well as any notes about special handling.
8. The amount of the invoice should be entered as billed even if you don’t plan on paying the full amount. A credit memo can be entered and matched against the invoice later. The key is to remember the audit trail.
9. Have a new vendor welcome letter that you can send informing them of where invoices should be sent, what information you require to process their invoices (like a vendor ID number) and any forms you need completed. Vendors will appreciate the information to ensure their payments aren’t held up.
10. Watch your payables carefully to take advantage of any discounts being offered by vendors. It can add up to a nice sum by the end of the year.
11. Setup your vendor files alphabetically and file your paid invoice as soon as completed.
There are many more ways to ensure a smooth accounts payable process if upper management won't go for process improvement. Feel free to list your own ideas that may help others looking for ways to make their accounts payable process better.
Vision360 Enterprise provides accounts payable automation solutions that streamlines invoice capture, smartly routes invoices for approvals, allows for intelligent matching and invoice coding and seamlessly transfers invoices to your Oracle ERP system. This will reduce labor costs, improve productivity and eliminate 100% of paper invoices from your accounts payable process.
By connecting accounts payable processing with your Oracle ERP system AP Departments can now take full advantage of productivity and efficiency gains that an accounts payable automation system provides. - See more at: http://www.bluecreeksoftware.com/oracle-integration.html#sthash.z6F4suR3.dpuf
The benefits of integrating Vision360 Enterprise accounts payable processing with Oracle ERP system.
- Seamless integration reduces the need for technical resources
- Allows for rapid deployment
- Accounts payable dashboard provides 100% visibility to supplier invoices
- Eliminates 100% of paper invoices
- Captures email invoices electronically
- Eliminates the need for data entry
- Powerful coding tools
- Perform 2 & 3-way matching
- Data validation engines ensures accuracy
- Centralized processing and controls
- Complete audit trail of approval activity
- Generate instant efficiency reports
- Instantly access invoices from electronic archive
- Enforces your security, processing rules and compliance
We do not take a one size fits all approach to any engagement. Our strength is in our ability to objectively evaluate the business problems and challenges that affect every day. By leveraging our business process solutions experience, coupled with our technical expertise we are able to effectively analyze and recommend a variety of viable solutions to fit the needs of any business problem and challenge we are faced with.
Vision360 Enterprise Accounts Payable Automation Solution by BlueCreek Software reduces time wasted chasing down paper invoices by automating invoice approvals, eliminating manual data entry, eliminating paper invoices and reducing processing costs.